Both parties have a joint financial obligation to maintain a child of marriage. There are Federal and Provincial guidelines which set recommended amounts based on income levels. In addition to maintaining the care of a child amounts may be awarded by the courts for expenses such as child care, health benefits, and education.

Children need financial support from their parents – and they have a legal right to it. Cooperative partners can agree on terms, but when they disagree the courts will decide. Because every situation is different, there are guidelines which the court will use to determine financial amounts.